City centre round

Baja is one of the most characterful aquatic cities along the Danube in Hungary. This cosy city was built at the meeting of the Danube and its backwater, Sugovica, therefore water has always been playing a determining rule in the life of the city. Gemenc, which is near to the town, is one of the most beautiful natural sceneries in our country with its grove forests, natural values, protected plants and animals.
Baja is the centre of the Upper-Bácska and the second biggest city in the county of Bács-Kiskun. From here you can make pleasant hikes by cruise ships, bikes, or boats in the surroundings.

Szentháromság (Holy Trinity) Square
The main square of Baja is compared to Venice’s St Mark Square. One of the most memorable image for tourists is the square paved in the shape of a four-leaf clover, the western quarter of which offers beautiful views of the river Sugovica and Petőfi Island. The listed buildings of townscape interest house several hotels, shops and cafés, as well as a tourist information office. The square covered with distinctive basalt cobblestones used to be the site of fairs and markets, while it gives home for the town’s festivals and other programmes.
The atmospheric little Rózsavölgy Márk court also can be accessed from the square, in memory of the “father of csárdás” and the Guinness record of csárdás dancing set in Baja in 2010.

 

Holy Trinity statue
The statue is erected in the middle of the main square. It is one of the oldest monuments in Baja, set up in the 18th century in late baroque style. It was erected in memory of a major plague epidemic in the 1750s. The statue was renovated in 1881 (Dunaiszky Lőrinc?) and relocated to its present location. In 2000, it was renovated again. It presents the four evangelists, with the statue of the Holy Mary above them, and the statue depicting the Holy Trinity on top of the column. Its base supports a two-part pedestal with footing, a shoulder and a cornice. The lower part is octagonal with quadrate reliefs, with the statues of the evangelists on their tops. The upper part also is octagonal, with recessed planes between he statues. Originally the statue stood in front of the former Grassalkovich Palace (today’s Town Hall) until the lord of the town had it transferred to its present place in 1793.

Holy Trinity statue
6500 Baja, Szentháromság square

 

Town Hall- Grassalkovich palace
The baroque building of the Town Hall, or formerly Grassalkovich Palace, stands on the Italian Renaissance style, Holy Trinity square facing the river Sugovica. The old palace was built by Gábor Patanichich the Archbishop of Kalocsa, who held the position of főispán (royal executive official) of Bács county between 1733 and 1745. The palace was in possession of the Grassalkovich family from 1750 until the end of the 19th century. The town redeemed itself of feudal dependency in 1862; thus the building got into its possession. It was rebuilt in 1896, the year of the millennium, in historicistic neo-reneissance style – which is commemorated by a plaque in the assembly hall. The beautiful red marble fireplace, embellished with the arms of the family, can be seen in the museum. A spectacular, painted glass window depicting Adam and Eve with the coat of arms of the town can be found in the staircase.

Town Hall- Grassalkovich palace
6500 Baja, Szentháromság square 1.
Tel: (+36) 79/527-100

 

Bácska Palace of Culture 
The Bácska Palace of Culture, the cultural centre of the town opened in 2011 May. The main building located in the Holy Trinity Square was built in the first half of the 19th century. It was ordered to be built by the brother a famous citizen of the town, Lázár Mészáros, the minister of defence during the revolution of independence of 1848; chief judge Antal Mészáros. The second building of the complex faces Attila street. The one-storey, classicist extension was built in 1813. It used to house Leo Székely’s ironmongery, and it still makes up one structural unit together with the building on the Holy Trinity square. The third building of the complex is under 3 Szabadság street and is connected to the two other buildings at the same time. Its appearance is geometrically simple, only the entrance is accented. It functioned as Farkas Reich Sons’ fashion, linen and carpet store at the beginning of the 20th century, built by Vilmos and Gyula Reich after the department stores of contemporary metropolises.
Presently it is run by Baja Marketing Ltd. The theatre room hosts diverse programmes: it is a suitable site for musical events, theatrical performances, premiere parties, literary events, solo nights, premieres, award shows, conferences and film shows. The gallery and the exhibition room offer an opportunity for local artists and the disabled to put their works on display.

Bácska Palace of Culture
6500 Baja, Szentháromság square 3.
Tel: (+36) 79/322-591; (+36) 79/321-341
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.bacskaikulturpalota.hu

 

Eötvös street- the pedestrian street
Cafés, ice cream parlours, shops and tea-gardens welcome strollers in this cobble-stoned promenade of beautifully refurbished houses in the centre of the Old Town. The street leads from the main square to the recently renewed Tóth Kálmán square.

 

Tóth Kálmán square
The full-length statue of Baja born writer and poet Kálmán Tóth (1831-1881), created by Gyula Bezerédy in 1894, stands in the heart of the town. The poet’s several poems are known today as “folk songs”. He also worked as the editor of the journal ‘Hölgyfutár’and as a playwright. He was elected the representative of Baja in the Parliament in 1865, and he managed to hold this position for four periods.
His most important political achievements include the fact that he succeeded in obtaining district level rights for his hometown, and he had the predecessor of today’s Eötvös József College established. It also was the result of his proposals that Baja was connected to the railway network. His works highly contributed to the fact that Baja became the economic, administrative, intellectual and cultural centre of the region by the end of the 19th century. Another famous townsman István Türr’s birthplace also used to stand here. Today only a plaque reminds of the tiny, one-storey house.


Előző Következő »

Top
Ezen az oldalon cookie-kat használunk. A böngészéssel ezt elfogadod. További információk…